My photo
I hope you enjoy my blog. Subscription is welcome (:

Monday, September 5, 2011

What's it worth?

On average, how many times a day do you look in the mirror? You do it when you wake up in the morning, before you leave for school or work, before you hang out with friends, while you're out and about, as you're stopped at a red light, every single time you visit the bathroom (this alone is several times a day for women), when you return home, and before you go to sleep. This doesn't even mention the little glimpses you catch of yourself as you're walking by mirrors or see your reflection elsewhere. Why is it so important to look at yourself in the mirror several times a day?

Because appearance matters. You want to make sure you're dressed appropriately and in style. You have to make sure you didn't forget to zip up your pants, button your shirt, or brush your hair. Face it: You care about what other people think of you. Acceptance is a must, and you want others to like you. In order to be accepted you buy certain clothes, live in specific places, pay lots of money for a fancy car, work in "higher class" jobs, and seek attractive friends. All of this is to keep up with your image and how others view you.

How do YOU view yourself? Truthfully, underneath it all. Every single person has been jealous of someone else for some odd reason. Usually it's because someone else has something that we want. Girls get jealous of other girls easily. For being skinnier than they are. For their best friend's really cute, nice boyfriend. For having a good sense of fashion. For passing that math test the rest of the students failed. I can't speak from experience, but I know most guys are envious of that really nice Mustang parked right next to them.

Why are we envious? Because we aren't comfortable with who we are or what we already have. We want all of these THINGS that society says we need in order to be happy. Without them we feel empty or self-conscious. We let others define us and what we're worth by what we own and how we look. We end up feeling worthless or like we don't make the cut. Ultimately, we feel like we're not good enough.

You can't define my worth. No single person can tell me I'm not good enough. No teacher can tell me I'm not smart enough. No beauty magazine or make-up advertisement can tell me that I'm not pretty enough. I don't measure my self-worth by the standards of this world. If I did, then I would be worthless.

My self-worth is measured in the eyes of God. Though I have my faults and flaws, I am perfect to Him. He loves me regardless and I am worth more than anything else this world has to offer. Gold and diamonds are ashes compared to my love for Him. He offers forgiveness and true inner peace. When I am weak and feel I can't make it on my own, He is my strength and keeps me from crumbling. My self-worth is defined by this: I am complete in Him.

I am no different than you. How do you measure your self-worth?



"I will praise You,
because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful,
and I know this very well."

Psalms 139:14

1 comment:

  1. The 139th Psalm is a wonderful place to see how intimately God knows us because He created us. When we look at ourselves through God's eyes we begin to see how precious we actually are. That may be why there were no mirrors in the Garden of Eden. Great stuff Steph.

    Steve Hatfield

    ReplyDelete