The first week of my Spring semester is over. This week flew by so fast. I have a feeling that Spring 2012 will too. My major is Cross-cultural studies. This involves a little bit of economics, psychology, sociology, and political science. You study how people act throughout different cultures. I'm going to use this major to be a missionary. My minor is Psychology. Love love love it. So I love something about all of my classes. First is Interpreting the Bible. Surprisingly, my professor is also a member of my church. Unfortunately, this doesn't earn me any brownie points. This class involves reading a book and learning a lot of new terms. But I love it because it really makes you think and prove your point during arguments. Second, I have the World of Caesar and Christ. This class involves a TON of reading. Courtesy of the honors program. The book is really interesting and poetic, so I don't really mind the reading. The Aeneid shows the worldview of the Romans and Greeks. Somehow, my professor is able to make their worldview relate to ours. Third, I'm taking Piano I. Piano is my favorite instrument to play. I want to get to a point to where I can just read music and play it. That way I can use it to play praise and worship music. Now that would be awesome. Fourth is Foundations for Christian Ministry. This is by far my favorite class. My professor was a missionary. He talks about some of his different trips. He really makes us learn about ourselves and challenges us to see things from a different perspective. Something he's great at is reminding us that we all want to do ministry. Just some things he talks about makes me realize how much growing I still have left. If you're going to be involved in ministry, you need to realize that your actions are going to have a lot of effects on other people. People are going to look to you for guidance and ask you questions. You need to be a leader and have answers. Fifth, I have Personality Theories. It's a psych class, and I'm not too fond of it yet. Hoping it gets better. Lastly, I have Writing About Literature. Not too fond of this class either. :p
Something amazing happened today. I mentioned in a previous blog that I want to be actively involved in ministry this semester. Well....... I got an internship!! So excited. My internship is going to be with First Baptist Church. They need someone to help out with the daycare center. There's about 50-80 kids. They come from all different backgrounds. My main job is to build relationships with the kids and get to know them. Eventually, I'll be the one leading chapel for them. I'm so stoked! Also, once a week I will be conducting surveys of what the parents think about the daycare. This will be done house by house. This gives us an opportunity to see who wants to get more involved in the church. It's pretty much a local missions field. Even thinking about reaching out to these people makes me all jittery and giddy.
The main point of this is to get experience in ministry. It's going to make me develop more leadership skills and challenge my teaching skills. Also, I'm going to have to keep myself in check spiritually. I can't allow myself to slack spiritually. If I do, then it will effect others negatively. This is such a great chance for me to grow. It will help me focus on what's important and to get my priorities straight. I want to do ministry more than anything. It's my element. It's where I find the most joy. I'm happier doing ministry than I am anywhere else. I start my internship next Thursday :)
Steph, that's AWESOME! You will be sooooooo great at that!!! I'm excited for you; praying for you right now!
ReplyDelete