My photo
I hope you enjoy my blog. Subscription is welcome (:

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Riches.

These verses really stuck out to me while I was having my morning quiet time. I tried to keep reading, but I couldn't. I kept pondering theses verses and what they meant.
Isaiah 5:8
8 Woe to you who add house to house
and join field to field
till no space is left
and you live alone in the land.

I really had to meditate on this verse. The person is adding house to house and field to field. It sounds like they are gathering riches for themselves. They want all of this land to belong to them. Eventually, all of the land is theirs and there is no more space to acquire. They have all of the land they wanted, but they are alone. Why have everything you desire if there's no one to share it with?

Isaiah 5:12
12 They have harps and lyres at their banquets,
pipes and timbrels and wine,
but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD,
no respect for the work of His hands.

Now this really hit home. These people have everything they want on earth. They have companionship, music, wine, and merriment. In the midst of all this, they forget what God has done for them. They were spiritually blind to the things He was doing all around them.

I'm convinced a lot of us do the same thing even now. We get caught up in our everyday lives with family, friends, work, school, relationships, and other distractions. When things are going good and we have everything we need on earth, we tend to push God to the side. He doesn't get the attention He deserves. Our eyes are closed to the work of His hands. Too soon do we forget that everything He's given us is a blessing. We focus our eyes on the things of this world and take them off of God. Forget earthly riches. It makes us spiritually blind to the things He's doing.  Are your eyes open?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, powerful stuff Stephanie! Our pastor preached on covetousness this past Sunday, and he said the 10th commandment is like a "psychological version of the 1st." They both have to do with idolatry. You really hit the nail on the head here! The world truly isn't focused on what's important. I love this - well said, girlfriend. Well said!

    ReplyDelete