My photo
I hope you enjoy my blog. Subscription is welcome (:

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cuh-plunk!

     When I woke up this morning, I had already decided to skip my first class and study for a math test I had afterwards. As I'm pulling out of the driveway to leave for school, I have a sudden gut-feeling that I should take the Expedition instead. It's my mom's car that I'm allowed to borrow if I'm having car trouble. I ignored that feeling, and told myself it was nonsense. I thought it was ridiculous. Everything would be alright because my car was running just fine.
     I'm at the turning lane of an intersection about a mile away from school, and then CUH-PLUNK. The "check engine" light comes on. No way! This has happened once before. All I have to do is put the car in park, turn it off, and then restart it. No big deal. Except it doesn't restart this time 0.o
     So now my car broke down at an intersection. The stoplight turns green and the cars behind me start honking. Naturally, this would make me more anxious in an already worriesome situation. Not to mention that it's raining outside on top of all this. The light turns green again and the people are tired of honking at me. They become innovative and decide to go around me. The same thing happens again with another line of cars. Not one person stopped to ask what was wrong with my car or tried to help me in any way. I put my hands and my forehead on the steering wheel, closed my eyes, and asked God to help me.
     As I was pulling my Triple A card out of my wallet, I see a man walking through the traffic. I assume he either has a death wish or must have had Nutty Bars for breakfast. He knocks on my window and tells me to get out of the car and put it in neutral. I was dumbfounded and thankful that someone was finally helping me, but I couldn't really understand what he was saying. So he did it for me. Then he tells me that we're going to get the car out of the intersection. I had to get on the passenger side of the car and help him push it. Incoming traffic had to stop as we pushed the car through the intersection and into the Advanced Auto Parts parking lot.
     Once we got into the parking lot, the man told me that everything will be fine and I just need to relax. It's not the first time I've broken down in the rain, but it was the first time I've broken down at an intersection. So I was pretty stressed out. I kept saying thank you to the man. He said "You don't need to thank me. Thank Dios because this was all Him." This was an eye-opener. Here was a Christian helping me when no one else would because it was an inconvenience to their busy schedules.
     We went inside of Advanced Auto Parts. Either the guy worked there or he had connections because I heard good news. They were going to check out my car for free. They jumpstarted it and the engine started up once. It didn't stay running so I had to call Triple A and have it towed to the mechanic. My dad and I ended up going to Downtowm Pizza and to see Courageous. We laughed ourselves to tears on the way home from remembering old stories. I'm going to talk to my professor tomorrow and explain today's dilemma. I'm sure I can make up the test.
     Moral of the story? I'm not really sure. Take what you want from it. Maybe someone reading this needs to learn to trust God in stressful circumstances and know that everything will be fine as long as you seek Him for help. Someone else reading this may realize that they need to take a moment to help someone in need, even if it's an inconvenience.
     What I get out of it is something a little different. There are still Christians who not only talk the talk, but they walk the walk. They don't only profess to be Christians, but they also live it out. They put their words into action. Many people ignored me this morning when I needed help. I wonder how many of them were Christian. But there was one man who saw me in distress and he did the right thing. How many of us walk by those in need? Thank you, Charles, for being my angel in disguise.


"But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?"
1 John 3:17

1 comment:

  1. I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE SAFE AND DIDN'T GET HURT! But really, that stinks about the car. But WOW. Oh wow. You may find out someday that he had taped his wings down just for this... I'm proud of you for seeing the big picture in spite of the circumstance, and wasn't that a great movie?! I love you and miss you Stephanie!!!

    ReplyDelete